Friday, September 5, 2008

Thank You!

















Today I'm deeply touched that Design students and lecturers specially arranged a farewell lunch for me on my last day in KDU. I need to thank Julius, Jason, Ellison and Nee Nee for saying all those nice and touching words about me. Before I came into the room, I already have in mind of what to say to all of you but due to the 'LIVE' situation and also overwhelmed by the presence of so many students, I may have missed out something which I wanted to say. I hereby include in this post the complete speech:

"When I joined KDU College in 2005, our department office was located on the 2nd floor next to iMac Lab. The fourth floor then was just a huge empty corridor with only dry and wet studio. There was no gallery during that time. Today, this once empty corridor has transformed into a creative space for you to freely experiment your ideas and express yourselves through your design. In terms of student population, I only have one student in my first class which was History of Architecture I. I found myself lecturing throughout the class most of the time as there was no way to have group discussion. Today, our school has more than 100 students who will be the great designers of the future.


Throughout my career, I enjoy myself the most while I was here at KDU College. I still remember that when I first apply for a position at KDU, I mentioned in my cover letter that teaching is about creating a mutual learning environment not only for the students to gain knowledge but also for the lecturer to learn from that experience as well. True enough, I’ve learned a lot from you, my students. I envy the kind of energy and excitement that you possess which I wish I had when I was your age. You guys make the working environment here so much more interesting compare to the dull corporate world outside. Personally, I hope that my work here has benefitted at least a few of you in this group in one way or another. By winning so many competitions since 2006, you all have proven your ability to achieve your goals. Although you are the new kid on the block, you have managed to beat other rival schools such as Equator and even USM. The secret recipe here is belief. You have proven that with strong conviction and belief, you can possibly beat anybody. I can see that most of you enjoy your studies here at KDU. You will soon realize that all those deadlines and sleepless nights become your sweet memories next time. You will remember the fun of having group projects at your peers’ house. Those people you hate whenever they copied your design or slacking off in group projects, you will one day remember them as well and with a smile, not with hatred. All the struggles you encounter here will become unforgettable memories. You will also realize that most of your true friends are actually those you met at college.

I’m also fortunate to work with a group of brilliant people here in KDU. Without them, the department can’t possibly be developed into its current status. I’m talking about your lecturers. Trust me, they are the most hard working lecturers you can ever find. All of them have passion in art and design. They have tried all sorts of ways to deliver lectures and share their experience with you in the most effective way. I would like to share with you one secret. If you want to learn more so that it worth the fees you paid here at KDU, keep approaching your lecturers. The more you ask the more you learn. And I’m sure they all have been waiting for you eagerly to disturb them as much as you can. But better to make appointment first la.

I’m glad to also announce that Shirley has been promoted to be the Program Leader of the department. I’m sure she will lead the department to greater heights. Finally, I’m sure that all of you have gotten valuable education as well as friendship here in KDU. Some of you will go on becoming great designers in your own field. As for me, I’ll be leaving this wonderful island for job opportunities elsewhere. However, do keep in touch and feel free to discuss with me anything especially those related to design.


Thank you and wish you all the best!"


At 5:30pm today, I switched off the light and closed the door of my office for the last time. It is interesting to realise that how these mundane tasks which I do everyday become so significant. I decided to take pictures of these special moments...........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wish you all the best yeah!....honestly..nearly wanna cried after Ellison gave the speach in front.,,,haha. yeah.this 2 days really feel awkward without u! guess have to get used to it!

my compliment to you is....
u are still the best boss i ever had !! Gambate!
wahhahaa!

dezy said...

Hey CK,

You were one heck of a boss! And I wasn't even in your department!!

You write a pretty good blog too (connected via Facebook). Hope all goes well for you as you travel once more!

Derek